[vc_row type=”container”][vc_column][vc_column_text]


I was billed for a service I didn’t receive. What do I do?

  • Contact the health care provider or the company that paid the bill.
  • Contact the Senior Medicare Patrol of New Jersey, 732-777-1940 or  toll free hotline, 877-SMP-4359.

What if I gave out my Medicare number to a stranger?

  • Contact the Senior Medicare Patrol of New Jersey, 732-777-1940 or  toll free hotline, 877-SMP-4359.
  • Alert your health care providers so they can be aware of suspicious activity.
  • If you notice suspicious activity on your statements, contact your health plan or provider and ask for a correction.

What if I lost my Medicare card?

  • Call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 and request a new card..

What if I suspect Medicare fraud?

How do I know if a phone call is legitimate?

  • If the call is from a charity, tell them to send you information in writing. Be sure to add that you do not give money to strangers over the telephone.
  • If they are selling something and you are interested, ask for information in writing. If this is a one-time opportunity, tell them you do not make decisions over the phone.
  • Ask the caller for his or her name, company name, and callback number. You can call back later to verify the legitimacy of the source and the offer.
  • Most importantly, LISTEN for these red flags:
    • Are they asking for credit card information?
    • Are they asking for banking information?
    • Are they asking for personal information like your Medicare or Social Security number?
    • Do they say the offer is only good today? A real company will give you time to think and verify.
    • Do they know something about you but ask to verify that the information is correct?
    • If any of these are happening, HANG UP!

Who can I call about consumer scams that aren’t about Medicare?

  • Report it to The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 877-382-4357 or online at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.
  • Report it to local law enforcement.

What if I think my loved one is getting poor quality care?